As the cold weather moves in, snow storms hit the area, and temperatures fall below freezing, the last thing that you might be considering is replacing your home’s windows! While it may seem like it makes sense to wait for warmer weather to arrive before tackling a window replacement, there are actually several benefits to getting the work done in the off-season.
At XL Contracting, we’re a family owned replacement window company, and we live and work right in the area—so we understand the concerns that local residents might have about jumping into a window replacement in the middle of blizzard season. However, we also know that you want to get the most out of your home improvement investment, and replacing your windows in winter can be a smart decision to save money and minimize the stress of the process.
What Benefits Can You Get by Replacing Windows in the Winter?
There’s no question that summer can be a great time to replace home windows, but busy households, overbooked contractors, and unpredictable, humid weather can all make your project more challenging. When you work with a professional to get replacement windows installed in the colder months of the year, you’ll enjoy:
- Easier Scheduling: Winter is the slow season of the year for home remodelers, which means that you might be able to get the work done much quicker than you would when their schedule is already booked up in the summer months.
- Attractive Offers: With the decrease in projects often comes an increase in specials and financing offers! Ask your contractor if they have any deals going on for purchasing replacement windows in the winter.
- Less Pests: Summers in Illinois mean a lot of mosquitos and other pests flying around outdoors, and replacing your windows in winter can help keep stray insects from getting into your home.
- Immediate Savings: One of the top benefits of a window upgrade is the savings that you see on energy costs, so what better time of year than winter to get a jumpstart on sealing out the weather and lowering your monthly bills?
Tips for a Successful Winter Window Replacement in Illinois
Like any home improvement project—any time of year—you need to plan in advance for having a smooth remodeling experience. If you are considering a winter window replacement, the first place to start is by researching local contractors that offer the products you need at a price that fits your budget. Our top tips for a stress-free window installation include:
- Work with an experienced team of window installers that understands how to replace your windows quickly while minimizing exposure to cold outdoor air.
- Seal off the worksite areas of your home, either by closing doors or using plastic floor-to-ceiling barriers, to prevent cold air from affecting the rest of your living space.
- Keep the outdoor space around your home clear of ice and snow so that the window crew can easily access the windows they need to replace.
- Plan in advance for weather-related delays by speaking with your contractor before the project starts so that you are on the same page if the unexpected occurs.
Subscribe to XL Contracting's Blog